Friday, December 1, 2006

Style



Every week I receive a newsletter from Ali Edwards. Each week she has a scrapbooking challenge and this week I took her on. She suggested we look at our style, and try something new. “Scraplift” (scrapbooking talk for ‘steal a good idea’) something that we wouldn’t normally do. Before you can do that, you have to look at what you are already doing. So, above I posted my last page. There is a lot going on. When I look at it, it feels like a meal. There is a lot to digest. And I like that. I like the little bits. The little pictures of waves and jellyfish and feet. And I like the little bits of patterned paper. This is typical of what I do right now.

To take on the challenge I looked for something different. So I found a beautiful scrapbook page in a magazine. It was striking because the photo was so beautiful. There wasn’t a lot of fuss on the page. So I tried it out. My goals were: lots of white space (or in this case, brown), use of a quote (I got this one off of quoteland.com) and to get that gel pen rolling.



I think that it came out alright. I don't think I did a great job photographing it, but I am pleased with the results.

2 comments:

Marti said...

Now that you are hitting the big time, I think you should go back and start labeling early posts, little by little.

Why do I think this? Because probably the most inspiring moment I've ever had creatively with your blog was the day I laid in bed with my mom and read a few posts from every month from the beginning until now. I was amazed by your creative journey -- inspired that it had a beginning, a middle, and an end. It truly did inspire me that your discipline had paid off and refined your natural talent.

I wanted to do the same. I wanted to commit to doing something creative every day, even though my creative pursuits are different than yours.

I think people will feel really inspired if they click on 'scrapbooking' or 'photography' or 'card making' or whatever it is, and notice how you just keep getting better and better over time. A novice is more likely to start if they see that than if they see your knock-out creations.

So, don't hide your early work! People need to see the journey. Or I do, at least.

And besides, your early work is still gorgeous. I really like it.

So there you have it... my two cents.

Congratulations on your creative journey with this blog. It really has been a journey. And it really is inspiring.

Marti said...

"A novice is more likely to start if they see that than if they see your knock-out creations."

Well, your knock-out creations will certainly inspire them, too.

I meant to say "...than if they only see your knock-out creations."