Saturday, February 10, 2007

Why


I'd like to explore this 'why' question again.

I recently sent out pictures of my son playing with a camel on wheels at his little toy garage. I told the picture-receivers that Andrew has adopted our family motto: Make do. When there are not enough cars, use the camel on wheels! A friend wrote me back and told me that the family motto should be: Make. Do.

I like that idea. I love to make. Bread, cookies, cards, scrapbook pages, quilts, dinner. It makes me feel strong and creative. I love when, in the process of making, I come upon a challenge: I ran out of eggs, or this square won't fit, or I didn't print any 5x7's. And then I figure out how to solve the problem. Make. Think.

I also love the love part. Sending love in the mail. Wrapping people in love quilts. Saving memories of love. This is the vunerable part. And I have definitely been burned by this: feeling like I over-did it, or under-did it, or shouldn't have done it. But when the love given and the love received are a good fit and make sense and bring joy...that makes me so happy. Make. Love.

And I love what all of this brings out of me. I learn about science in my kitchen, practical science that I will use over and over. I learn about aesthetics when the paper and ink come out. I learn about math with fabric: sizes and shapes, but also weights and angles. I love building on and using that body of knowledge. Make. Learn.

So, even though somedays, I feel like these are silly hobbies and that I play too much, in the end, it is absolutely worthwhile. Good for me, good for others.

Make. Think. Love. Learn. Do.

and sometimes 'why'.

3 comments:

Paula J Atkinson said...

Absolutely nothing in this world is silly if you derive pleasure from it.
Enjoy your creativity.

Jann Gray said...

Love the concept.... Make. Do. Simple -- concise -- complete.

Gigi said...

soooo cool! great manifesto! & btw...loved seeing the pic in your profile of my old stomping grounds - the promenade - gosh i miss red zinger iced tea from lassen & hennings on montague st....happy creating!