Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Benefits of Underparenting



My friend Q mentioned that she was guilty of underparenting the other day. I really like this term, Q. It makes me feel less lazy and more like this is how I am choosing to parent.

This morning I reaped a few benefits of underparenting. Andrew was calling for the day to begin before 7 (a huge no-no in this house). I went in his room, got him up and hit the couch. I'll parent from here.

I'm not a big talker in the morning. Actually, even as I write this I think the only word I have said so far today is 'diaper'. So when Andrew brought me a book as I was laying on the couch, I was thinking, 'how can I get out of this?' I ended up showing him the book and turning the pages without saying anything.

And then something cool happened. Andrew read the book to me. He pulled out a few new vocab words he has been working on (shirt, pants, etc.) and filled in the other words with adorable Andrew jargon. He even had the right cadence for the rhyming book he chose.

So the benefits of laziness, I mean underparenting, is finally starting to pay off.
I mean, I can only sit on the couch for so long.



I wish I could take credit for the jam in these photos. My friend Loralee made this jam probably from the wild blackberry bushes in her yard in Vermont. Loralee, it is 'wicked' good. The Rice fam are jam fans. Thanks!

7 comments:

Marti said...

That picture of scone and jam looks so good I think I pulled a muscle in my salivating glands just looking at it.

Kirsten said...

yeah Andrew! Great work.

Susan said...

You aren't a big morning talker? how did I not know this about you? I'm going to feel so much less guilty and be so much more silent next time I visit you.

Dave said...

Susan,

Usually I don't say anything until I've had a little tea. Dave and Andrew are used to it, but it seems rude with guests. But, if we are both partakers of morning silence, not rude at all!

Marti said...

Cafe Vio had mixed berry scones this morning. I am so relieved... :)

Marti said...

http://syracuseculturalworkers.com/node/94

http://syracuseculturalworkers.com/sites/scw/files/images/K512-Wicked-Cool.jpg

Anne said...

I love parents who underparent so much more than the ones who overparent. Especially the ones who pull off, "Wouldn't it be fun to [insert boring activity here]."