Friday, October 24, 2008

need fulfilled



For the past several nights, after dinner, I have been lurking in my kitchen looking for chocolate cake. And there has not been any. And last night I realized that I will have to make chocolate cake so that there will be some.

So, in honor of my mother's birthday, which is today, and in honor of my need for chocolate cake and in honor of good, quality chocolate and it's proven ability to raise serotonin levels in my brain (okay, okay, in everyone's brain), I made chocolate cupcakes.

Now first let me tell you how much I hate giving out recipes. I really don't like it. And that has nothing to do with hoarding secrets or hoarding compliments or hoarding chocolate cupcakes. It's because I don't like sitting at my computer and typing it out. Plain and simple. So, understand that I'm giving you this recipe because it is amazing. And because you will love it. And because you will love me for typing it out for you.

Okay, ready?

Black Mocha Cake
from the Moosewood Restaurant's Book of Desserts
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oil
1 cup strong coffee at room temperature
1 cup milk or buttermilk or yogurt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

I always start by brewing the coffee and letting it sit to cool while I do other things. Then, at some point, preheat the oven to 350. Then, I combine the oil, coffee, milk, eggs and vanilla and mix it real good. Then I add the salt, soda and baking powder and mix it real good. Then I add the sugar and cocoa. And I usually add the flour last.

So once you have your batter you can do anything with it: 9x13 cake (bake for 25-30 min), Bundt cake (30-35 min), 2 round cakes (35-40 min) or cupcakes (20 min).

I've topped this all kinds of ways. Sometimes I put nothing on top. Sometimes I make a fruit based sauce to pour on top. Sometimes I make a German Chocolate Cake Frosting if I want to be fancy. Today I chopped up some dark chocolate and put it on top while the cupcakes were still hot. Once the chocolate got melty I smeared it around. So really, anything goes. It's that kind of cake.



Ok, now make it and be sure to thank me!

Happy Birthday Mom!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Guittard is the best, isn't it? There was only one place to get it in DC and there's only one place here. I'm so grateful for Super Target :)

Melissa Belmonte said...

SO excited that you posted a recipe! I don't like cake (well- on the spectrum of desserts, cake is one of my least favorites), but I might just have to try this one.

debs14 said...

Ooooh, I love cooking and I love trying new recipes and I love chocolate. But here in England we measure in grams and kilos so I'm a little concerned about my maths in converting this! Also - what is a Bundt cake???? I'm going to have a go at cupcakes because I'm sure they are the same in UK as they are in US!