Friday, April 10, 2009

serious volunteer work



About a month ago I got a call from a woman at my church. She heard I was a teacher in my former life and wanted to know if I would be willing to help out with the Easter Party.

"Sure thing! What did you have in mind?" (please don't say little crowns with bunny ears attached)
"Well, we usually order these cookie kits and the kids decorate cookies."
"Oh! I can make the cookies!"
"Oh no! I wouldn't ask you to make cookies!"
"But, Helen. It's what I do."

We firm up the details, I attain various seasonally appropriate cookie cutters (thanks, Mom!) and today Andrew and I got to work. We now have lots of yummy cookies to decorate and I'll make some icing in the morning. Truth be told, I'm a little nervous. I mean, my cookies don't have that "cookie kit" look. Some are lopsided and some of the bunnies' ears grew together in the oven and well, they look delightfully homemade. But if these folks are used to the "cookie kit" look, they might be disappointed....well, until they taste one. Hopefully their buttery, vanilla scented flavor will make up for the homemade folk look.

Ready or not! Easter party, here we come.


2 comments:

Tara Whalen said...

YUM. can I have one or three?

Marti said...

I love you, Robyn.