Thursday, August 27, 2009
notes from the early mornings
I have still been getting up at 5 in the morning. It's been over 2 weeks now and it has really changed things around here. Funny how one person making a change like that affects the whole family.
- My body now is ready to wake up at 5. It's not a battle at all. I hate when getting out of bed is a battle.
- The boys are getting up earlier. Sometimes that's tricky because I'll hear them before I'm ready, before the sewing machine and other tempting gadgets are packed up. But, the good part is that bedtime is easier. We had been having a really hard time getting Andrew settled at a decent hour this summer and tried all kinds of tricks. And, it turns out, getting up earlier is the most logical and effective trick of all. Who knew?
- On the mornings I sew, the boys tend to sleep later. But on the mornings I bake or cook, they get up earlier. Especially Isaac. Especially on mornings I'm cooking something savory. Must be the smell.
- I got up early one Sunday morning and the bar next door still had patrons that were just packing up to leave. At 5:30! I just can't imagine...
- We now go to the playground in the mornings because I don't need the mornings to do my stuff. It's already done. It's so much better going to the playground early than in the heat of the day.
- I need a 3:00 caffeine boost. I usually make some iced tea. But, some days I drag everyone to our local cafe for an iced coffee.
- Because I am up earlier, Dave gets up earlier. Which means Dave gets to work earlier, which often means he gets home earlier. I love when he gets home earlier.
Will it last? I don't know. I'll have to see. But it just might be worth it.