Friday, September 4, 2009

art journaling



Awhile back I mentioned I was going to take an art journaling class. Well, the class started this week and I really like it! I like journaling. And scrapbooking has showed me that expression isn't only done with words...but also with photos and cutie whatnot. Pockets, buttons, chipboard...all of can have something to say. Or not. It just depends.

I've found the class to be challenging in the sense that the process is unfamiliar to me. Usually I sit down and write something when I have something to say. Whether that is in a diary or a blog post or a scrapbook page. (Turns out, by the way, that I have a lot to say.) But, when my teacher says, "make a pocket! put something in it!" I think, "why?" What do I have to say in a pocket? Do I need to know what I am going to say before I start the pocket? Will the pocket tell me what to say? ;) So, I'm trying to be a little more artistic and just make without expectations or goals or ideas about the finished product.

And with that I'm failing. Some habits are just hard to break.

But, it is just the first week of class. And I have started a pretty cool journal. I'm sure I'll get the hang of letting go and making messes. It's worth a try, at least.





In the journal I'm using photos from our photo shoot we had done in July. And I've used lots of little chipboard pieces that I've covered with sand. And I write lots of deep, dark, juicy secrets...and those you can't see. ;)

11 comments:

Thinkie said...

it looks great!

EliseBlaha said...

cute!1 i love the subtle colors.

Hagit said...

I love it! So pretty!

Lauren said...

I ADORE the color scheme and I love what you have done with the sand!

Loralee said...

It's so beautiful. Wow.

Can you stop it already with being so talented???

No, really, you have an amazing eye for design and knowing just what works. So lovely.

Jennifer I. Walker said...

Hi Robyn, I've had the same issue...when I read the prompt about the envelopes, I thought "well, I don't have anything to put in the envelopes...so I guess I shouldn't do that" and then stayed away for 3 days as I thought it over. I'm so glad you asked your question! Tonight I decided to just do it! Make an envelope and see what happens! and I made two and two other pages and the best part is -- I have no plan for them AT ALL! I just decided to stop over thinking it and just do it! (I'm not really a "just do it" girl. I'm more of a "make a plan, think about said plan, revise plan, then cautiously begin plan" kinda girl.) But not tonight! Spontaneous creativity was my middle name!

rebekahweckerly@gmail.com said...

Fantastic!! Beautiful photography!

Roeshel said...

What a great idea and it's beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Roeshel

glor said...

This is so great! I love it! This is something I am going to have to try.

Tabitha and Larry said...

Wow wow wow! I am in love with your books and I am very pleased that my images and your gorgeous creativity could makes such a pair.
Did I mention Wow?

Leanne said...

I love the look of it. Cute family pictures too. I'm having a giveaway today. Stop by to enter if you get a chance.