Tuesday, March 30, 2010
We get a lot of attention because of Isaac's red hair. Attention I usually like, sometimes feel awkward about, and never know how to respond to. But I'm generally terrible at quick, witty comebacks anyway, so not knowing how to respond is just part of the territory.
These are some of the reactions we've had so far:
1. Most people that have something to say just nudge each other and say "look at that baby's hair". We probably get that once every other day.
2. I get a lot of: "My sister's husband's cousin's kid has red hair too!" I feel like part of a club and the hair-commenter and I high-five about our membership.
3. One woman incorrectly guessed "that hair must glow in the dark!"
4. Another (otherwise normal looking) woman merely pointed and laughed.
5. And my favorite reaction thus far was the old man that stopped walking and stared at Isaac as we walked by with a look of horror on his face. It was just such an odd response. And maybe it had nothing to do with Isaac or his hair, but, I like to think it did. ;)
When I see other red haired boys I wonder if that's what Isaac will look like when he's older. When I talk to parents of red heads, I ask if there really is a temper that comes with red hair (doesn't seem to be, from the anecdotal work I've done....though Isaac himself can be quite feisty). And other parents and I like tracing the hair back to which grandmother, uncle, or in our case Great Aunt passed along the gene.
It is really strange how much his hair comes up. Way more than my hair, or Dave's hair or Andrew's hair. ;) Or any other of our features for that matter. And honestly, that's okay by me. I completely and totally love it.
I got up early this morning to make some blackberry muffins for breakfast. This is turning out to the week of intense baking after all! Yum!
oh...and here's that hair I was talking about...