Friday, March 23, 2007

Irrational Thinking



Sometimes I do endulge. Or, maybe, to put it better, I catch myself in irrational thinking. When in a trying time, on some level, I think to myself, "like this it will always be".

I thought this in labor: I will always be in labor. This is what the rest of my life will be like.

So silly. And most of the time I know that the irrational thinking is not true. On all the other levels I know that the trying time will end. But, somewhere in me I consider that maybe it will not.

So, I caught myself in this thought last night. For the past three nights Andrew has not slept well and Dave and I (Dave more slowly than I) are turning into zombies. Last night I thought: we will never sleep well again.

Granted: we only have one kid. A toddler, at that. He usually sleeps 7-7:30, sometimes 7-8. I realize that there are lots of people with more kids and less sleep. But tired is tired. And I hate it.

So, last night, I tucked him in, and held myself back from, "See you in an hour!", but said the usual, "See you when you wake up!" He was up at 11 for a nose cleaning. After all, wanting to breathe is reasonable. But then we didn't hear from him until 7:30 this morning.

Praise the Lord.

seriously.


I have my fingers crossed for naptime.

1 comment:

Tara Whalen said...

So happy for you. It is so hard to function when sleep is limited. Now let's get Avery settled in.