Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Okay, okay




I'll admit it.

New York is alright.

Don't get me wrong, I'll choose a parking space and a yard (and another bedroom and a clothes dryer and....) as soon as that it an option, but this big city has it's perks.

See, I got a call yesterday from a friend of mine who works for children's television. She wanted me to do a little writing for her show (no glamour here, a LITTLE writing, and who knows if she'll like it). Another friend contacted me a few weeks ago with prospects of writing a children's book. This is not to mention the other work I already have. All this through connections.

And if you know me, you know I'm no hob-nobber. I don't go to fancy parties to "network". The closest I come to that is WATCHING fancy parties on the FOOD network. So how does this happen?

It just seems to be in the air here.

These people I know through work or church. I met them through other things. I never once thought, "ohhh! I should pursue that friendship! I might get a job!" I more often think, "ohhh! I should pursue that friendship! I might get a friend!" But more often than not, those people are doctors or tv people or writers or teachers with big dreams. And that is why they are here. For their big dreams.

My big dreams were to have a big family. Make big bread. Sew big quilts. Build big community.

But when you are around big dreamers....I guess you get swept up in it. You take hold of the opportunities, because the opportunities are exciting and make sense. It makes sense for me to work on these cool projects, at home, with Andrew building with blocks at my feet, smelling the bread in the oven.

Making my big dream come true.

2 comments:

Tara Whalen said...

I love it. That's awesome.

Goes On Runs said...

i love watching cool parties & great food on the food network as well. i'm glad i know you.