Thursday, April 12, 2007

Smell



In college my husband studied "communications", which we always chalk up to irony. He is a funny communicator. Extremely literal. I once asked him to take the sheets off of the bed. And he did. The fitted sheet and the the flat sheet. But, apparently to him, sheets do not also mean pillow cases. This sort of thing is always happening and I usually end up saying something extremely helpful like, "just pretend you understand!"

Anyway, in one of his communication courses he had to write some sort of advertisement for a new gadget. So his group made an advertisement for an alarm clock that instead of waking you up through sound, would wake you up by smell. It would emit an odor of your choosing to awaken you. You know, like coffee.

I was thinking about that alarm clock (which, by the way, doesn't exist that I know of) while this bread was baking. I would want to wake up to the scent of freshly baked bread.

Especially on a rainy morning like today.

3 comments:

TARA said...

Since I'm such a heavy sleeper, I think my clock would have to emit a foul, unpleasant smell to wake me up. Based on personal experience, fresh, potent dog crap works pretty well. I think I'll stick to my obnoxious sounding alarm clocks - yes, plural - it takes four alarms each morning to get me out of bed. I know, I have some serious issues.

Susan said...

I don't think smell would do it for me, either. I remember a former roommate who wanted her boyfriend to rig a sandbag to drop on my head when my alarm went off . . .

Tara Whalen said...

I understand where these ladies are coming from, but think about waking to the smell of cinnamon rolls....yum. Plus it means that someone else was making them. Assuming that this clock doesn't exist. And if it did, what would that do to my waistline? If I smelled them, chances are I would make them.

There is a clock that uses light. I think my s-i-l told me about this clock that starts emitting light 1/2 hour before the alarm goes off. The light gets brighter and brighter, like a sun rise in your own room. She claims it works really well. You actually feel ready to wake when the alarm goes off.

Do you think they could make one to anticipate when Avery would wake? =)