Thursday, May 3, 2007

Day 2





So, this was a lot of work. I mean, 2 blog entries! One project! You might be saying, "enough already! We know you made crossaints!"

Well, here's the thing: there is just something about dough. Really. Read this as though it's not too cheesy, because, I know, it is. Yesterday I was heavy with the sads. I felt so lonely. It's funny because, all the lonely was about Q not moving here. It's not as though she was here and is moving away. It's not as though I have to figure out this new life without her. I've got that down. We haven't lived near each other in 5? 6? years. But, still, there was the lonely. Logical or not.

So, I thought, well, I'll bake. I'll just replace my friend with dough. It worked! Sorry, Q. I felt so much better. Making bread just takes so much care. It makes you be slow and quiet (even when your kid is not) and feel capable and productive. And for some reason, this particular dough was especially forgiving, gentle, smooth. It wasn't fussy about getting sticky. And it was a nice rhythm of kneading and leaving it to chill in the refrigerator (while going for a walk with Save-the-Day Kathy, who probably didn't even know she was saving the day...though maybe she did...). Then coming back to it. So, I would say: give it a try. Give yourself a lift. Who needs friends when there is so much baking to do? Right, Q? ;)

Anyway, today, when they came out of the oven, I knew it. This is the best thing I've ever made!
Well, except for you, Andrew.

But, unlike these yummies, you're a work in progress.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I want some!

Goes On Runs said...

i know.... i want some too. and after all that walking i could have used it for fuel for the train home. glad you were up for a visit.

Dave said...

sorry, Kathy! They were merely dough in the fridge at that point. You'll just have to come again...

;)

Adaline said...

Chocolate croissants are next...they're my favorite! (and Kathy's) And my birthday was just 2 days ago (hint, hint).