Saturday, June 30, 2007

Cooking



It has been awhile since I have done something creative. There is definitely creativity in packing and unpacking and figuring and problem solving...but no fun with paper. No fun with baking. And. No cooking.

All I have done with food in the past two weeks is pour milk onto cereal.

Pathetic.

and expensive.

we have become the Take-Out kings and queen of Brooklyn. And I hate it. I thought it would be a nice little treat. Not have to cook. Not have to food shop. But, it is losing it's appeal quickly. And, I miss cooking.

So, we find ourselves in a cooking quandry. When we moved into this apartment, we were told that gas was included. It's not. So, our stove refuses to heat water for tea, saute onions or bake. We first thought that something was wrong with the stove. Then we figured out that the gas had been shut off. So, Dave called the Gas People.

Two weeks.

Yikes. They're busy with turning on the gas for everyone else participating in the Great City Summer Relocation and they cannot get to us for two weeks.

So, tonight I fired up my Grittle (which, I keep calling a Skittle) and made quesadillas. You know, spread the refried beans on a tortilla, sprinkle on some cheese, fold and cook. It doesn't get simpler.

I have never been complimented more on a meal in my entire life.
I guess they miss my cooking.

So, as I get to know this new part of Brooklyn and this new apartment, I'll also be getting very friendly with my Skittle.

Recipes, anyone?

1 comment:

Carolyn & Tim Hunter said...

i actually have an electric grittle that came with a little recipe book. now, if i could only locate it! i bet you could google it, though.