Sunday, November 18, 2007

it's all who you know



Dave and I have a friend from Massachusetts that relocated to New York about the same time that we did. She helped us move into our first apartment. Caitlin went to an art school in New York, works for a painter and has her own studio where she works on her pieces. She is very dedicated to her work. I love that. She'll get up early, or stay up late so she can get to her studio to put time into her painting.

For Andrew's first and second birthdays we met Caitlin in local parks for a birthday photo shoot. She took the family picture in the right column of this blog. This year, she chose one picture of Andrew to paint. In this series of photos, Dave and I had just confiscated a well loved ice cream cone so that we could continue with the shoot. Andrew was not pleased, but quickly rebounded once he noticed that the camera was going. This photo was taken after the crying, before the smiling.

I love the painting because it looks like Andrew. I didn't expect it to. I love Caitlin's work. I like how you can see the strokes. Most of the portraits I have seen of hers do not have much detail in the face. I was surprised that when I saw the picture I knew right away who it was and even what photo she used. I love how all of those crazy strokes come together to make a realistic looking painting.

Anyway, woah.



9 comments:

Susan said...

Wow. If I were a painter I'd want to paint Andrew.

Tara Whalen said...

That is amazing!

Wendy said...

Beautiful!

Marti said...

I love the family photo in the right column of this blog. She did a good job.

Anne said...

How do you get borders around your pictures?

Dave said...

I don't know. I think it might have to do with the blog layout I chose. But I am not sure.

Anne said...

Yeah, it is the template. I'm too attached to my template to part with it. But I think the borders are snazzy.

Kirsten said...

I love comparing the picture and the painting. It's interesting how the painting conveys the emotion a little differently.
Beautiful work. Is the painting a gift? Or did you just see it recently?

Dave said...

The painting was Andrew's birthday gift...5 months late! ;) We just got it on Sunday.