Wednesday, August 20, 2008

to do: play



Today has been a day of sniffles and sneezes and summertime colds. I much prefer a cold in the winter.

Today has been a day of cleaning the glass that shattered from a dropped cookie jar. And I never feel like I get all of the shards.

Today has been a day of vacuuming and mopping and dusting. I am crazy to clean when I feel sick.

But today I sat down to play. And I realize, that on your end, this will seem like a normal blog post. She did something creative, took some photos and wrote a little diddy. And it's true. That is my norm and today isn't any different. But, as I wrote about yesterday, I was feeling like my creative endeavors were becoming just another thing to get done. Something to check off. So, to cultivate a feeling of play, I got out things I do not normally use (paint!) and started dabbling.

I never use paint because I don't want to take the time to let it dry. I'm too impatient. But I've been wanting to use it more. And to use negative space more. So, I painted over some cardstock letters and removed them. I was missing the 'n' so I painted a positive space 'n' using the hole it left as a stencil.






After I had the word 'thanks' painted, I got out my regular supplies: paper, little letters, ribbon and finished her up.

So, it turns out that play seems to be about the mindset. About the dabbling. About letting myself try something even though it might not work out. Giving myself that space. And being okay with spending time playing even when the play will not be a productive endeavor.

I'm not really there yet. It's hard to let go of wanting to be productive. But I think it's good for me to think about.

2 comments:

TARA said...

I think I'm in a creative drought. I should totally play. As you know, I get totally stuck on details. I probably would have stopped this project after realizing there was no "n" - instead of being even more creative and going with it to come up with something different. Now you have a comment! It must have been a good post!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome Robyn!