Monday, March 16, 2009

catch up





Today was definitely a day of catch up for me. After spending most of last week in Vermont and spending most of the weekend asleep recovering from a bout of food poisoning (which, by the way, is completely unrelated to the trip to Vermont. My mom is an excellent cook!), I woke up this morning with an empty fridge, a dirty home and a mountain of laundry. Nevertheless I was bound and determined to finish a little scrapbooking and have a blog post up today.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to return to catching up.




The journaling reads:
I frequently get asked how I am able to get my stuff done. I thrive on productivity and checking off a list of accomplishments at the end of the day. What's my secret? How can I do it while watching after small ones? Well, here it is. You and I have mastered the art of parallel play. You have your projects, and I have mine.

It started while I was working from home. I would spend a few hours every day writing lesson plans or some other aspect of curriculum development and you would just play. Now the time I spent working has been replaced with caring for your baby brother. And you still play.

Some days you wake up with a plan of what you want to get done. What train tracks to use. What towers to build. How exactly you plan on assembling the tinker toys. Other days you wander around and it takes you a while to really get settled. But usually, at the end of the day, we both have lots we could check off of a to-do list.

Now if we could only get Isaac on board with this concept. Imagine the possibilities!

2 comments:

Anne said...

I'm totally naive on this subject -- once you have kids do you have to do laundry every day in order to keep up?

Ugh, the horror...

Danielle said...

When does this "playing on his own" start? In my home, I am still "master entertainer and protector of young son who often gets tortured by bored older brother." Brice is not big into toys, gets bored easily, likes to watch a Dvorak DVD (seriously) and really just wants to run free (not possible while living in small condo in middle of large city). Did it take Andrew a while to learn to play by himself??