Thursday, April 30, 2009

thinking back



Right now in New York the trees are in full bloom. The lilacs are fat and smelly. The cherry trees are thorough in covering their branches with puffs of pink and white. And the dogwood is carefully balancing hundreds of blossoms up and down their long arms. I LOVE this time of year.

Last year, as the trees began their show I knew what it meant. I knew that as the city began to bloom that I would be closer and closer to giving birth. And this year, as I see the same trees doing their same routine I keep thinking back. One year ago I was HUGE. One year ago I was worried. One year ago I had bouts of insomnia. One year ago I would push Andrew's stroller slowly up a hill breathing heavily and daydream about ingesting more calories. Cheese. Salami. Salami and cheese.

And since this time last year is on my mind so much, I rummaged around in my photos looking for something from last year. In these photos we are walking around Soho. Heading to or coming from my doctor's appointment. Bracing ourselves. Change just around the corner.


2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Aww, I remember those days. Isn't it strange to look back a year? To remember when we constantly talked about "Sprout."

Melissa Belmonte said...

Sprout! I forgot about Sprout!!!

It's amazing with young children how much can change in a year, isn't it? My life is SO much less stressful than it was a year ago. I think once I am done work I might actually get to a couple of projects this summer. Enzo and Atticus are really playing with each other the way everyone said they would!