Tuesday, May 19, 2009

personality



So, for the longest time I felt like I didn't know Isaac very well. He didn't come out with any strong personality traits that we could pick up on right away. He wasn't that fussy, he wasn't that quiet. He was okay with new things and new people most of the time, but not enough to write him off as "laid back". I kept wondering "who are you?!?!?"

Now I feel like I am getting to know Isaac. Isaac has become a screamer. When he finishes eating if we do not get him out of his chair immediately, he starts screaming. screaming. Makes lingering after dinner a little challenging. And noisy. If he is trying to get somewhere that he doesn't fit, like, say, behind the couch, he starts screaming. Not crying, screaming.

Now for a while, if I was in another room and heard the scream, I would respond by yelling "Andrew!!! What are you doing?!?! Leave him alone!!" And sometimes that would be appropriate, but not always. Now I respond with, "Isaac! Stop screaming!" Looks like Isaac is revealing a streak of impatience.

BUT. Isaac is also really funny. Isaac tries to make us laugh. When he's screaming at the dinner table, one of our stalling tactics is to throw a napkin on his head. He pulls down the napkin, laughs and then covers his face with it again to 'hide'. And we sit around asking ourselves, "where is Isaac?" And he pulls down the napkin again laughing at his good joke.

As I get to know Isaac it keeps surprising me over and over and over again that he is not Andrew. That he is someone different entirely. And I'm still finding that really confusing.

3 comments:

Loralee said...

I'm starting to understand what you mean by that... now that we have Patrick and he isn't just a newborn anymore, I realize, hey, he's not going to look like Timothy. But what can he possibly look like if not Timothy??? Of course, their two personalities couldn't be more different. Timothy cried the first 9 months. Patrick only cries when he's tired. Big, big difference.

Cat said...

I can't wait to see if Julia and Jacob will be the same. Physically, they are the same and both look just like me. If Julia is as much a tomboy as I was when I was a kid, it might be like having 2 boys!!! It's hard to think they might be different like Andrew and Isaac. Great post!

MandiCrocker said...

Very insightful, Robs!