Thursday, August 13, 2009

school



I've been thinking about school a lot lately. I think its because of all of the back to school supplies I've been seeing and knowing that Andrew's first school experience (gulp) is a few weeks away.

My thoughts on school have not been terribly formed. Its not as though I've been having breakthrough insights into education. Instead I've been remembering a trail of small moments from my elementary school days. Like waiting for the letter to come in the mail telling me who would be my teacher and then not believing my luck when I got the teacher I wanted. Waiting for the bus on the corner with a bunch of other kids and making up dances with them. The smell of the seats on the bus. Lovely, colorful, *new*, delicious school supplies. Where I sat in the fourth grade. Trying to fake out the teacher by mouthing the Pledge of Allegiance instead of really saying it. And on the last day of school, trying to take in summer with my first steps away from the bus by taking off my shoes on the walk home, only for the pavement to really hurt my feet!

For the most part, I loved school. Especially Elementary school. I love the idea of school. I love the supplies needed for school. The maps and blackboards and markers and notebooks.

And suddenly, without any warning at all, I miss teaching. It took me four years away from the classroom, but I miss it. I wonder if I'll go back...

5 comments:

Goes On Runs said...

i am getting nervous about that first day.....

debs14 said...

Ok this is nothing to do with your post (although I do have to say waving him off will be the singlemost hardest thing you have to do this year!) but ...
So, here's the thing. Sarah included me in a challenge that I have to pass onto 4 other blogs so I'm sorry about this Denise, Robyn, Chloe and Cleo but you are my chosen 4!
Here's what you have to do:
Open the 4th file on the computer where you store your photos
Choose the 4th picture in that file and publish it on your blog
Explain a bit about it

Pass the challenge onto 4 other bloggers

In the words of Aleksandr the Meerkat on 'Compare the Meerkat.com' - Simples ...

Emily R. said...

Hi, I'm Emily!I came across your blog through your husband's Facebook!

It turns out we have a lot in common! We were both Kindergarten teachers, we are both from Vermont, and we are both creative type people!

Love your blog!

Have a lovely weekend!

Melissa Belmonte said...

Is there chocolate inside those croissants?

I always feel nervous in September- it's a new start, though! Keep us informed about how school goes for Andrew. How many days will he be going?

Loralee said...

I don't think I could give up teaching forever... I bet you'll go back. You're too good at it to not do it again.