Wednesday, January 13, 2010

skill set



My tricky boys have greatly expanded my own skill set. I can not only change diapers (quickly!) and take temperatures in all kinds of ways, but I can fix toys and reassemble furniture (Andrew has taken pieces off of his bed frame on nights when he has trouble getting to sleep...you know, instead of say, counting sheep).

One of my more recently developed skills I learned last summer when Andrew was experimenting with locking doors. We had one harried week where Andrew must have locked us out of every room in the apartment. And I learned how to disassemble door knobs and pop doors back open again. In record time. It's a skill I'm both proud of (so handy!) and embarrassed about (your kid did what!?).

Well, yesterday I was glad for the skill when Isaac (un)intentionally locked himself in our bedroom. I quickly got the screwdriver and went to work removing the doorknob wondering what other sorts of trouble he might be causing in there.

I pop the door open and find him lounging on the pillows at the head of the bed with a big smile on his face and red hair curling above his ears. That cheeky monkey.

I still don't know whether or not he knew he was locking the door. But I am certain that those red curls work in his favor. Every. Single. Time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could have used those skills the other day when I locked myself out of the house!! I had to beg the kids to open the door for me and teach them how to do it while freezing my tush off outside.

Luckily our doors inside the house, only two of them have locks and you can just stick a screwdriver or hanger in the hole to poke them out.

It is so cute how Isaac wasn't doing anything mischevious either, just chilling.

-Steph

MandiCrocker said...

I'm pretty sure your mom has said the same things about you & those red curls, missy! :)

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I wish I could disassemble a door knob easily. My kids have locked themselves in the bathroom more times than I can count

Sian said...

Ah, boys! Beautiful page.

Melissa Belmonte said...

I don't really know why, but I think this is my favorite scrapbook page of yours!

Dave said...

Thanks, Melissa! I really liked this one too! I like the "The Story" tag...I feel like it looks all 1920's...which was the Silent Film Era!