Thursday, March 18, 2010
When I was a Kindergarten teacher I did lots of art projects with my students and I was super picky about the projects. I wanted their art projects to be creative. I didn't want everyone's project looking the same in the end because they had followed the directions correctly. Instead I wanted the projects to be something without too many boundaries and too much structure.
In other words, I would have never done this project with my Kindergartners.
I precut bunny heads and ears and had Andrew assemble them. I cut out the triangles that would form the base of the banner (though, Isaac helped by painting that paper green for me!). I gave him a lot more boundaries than I would have given my students. And in the end, this project wasn't really about art for him. It was about building his muscles as he squeezed the glue bottle (it was a hard glue bottle!) and planning where to put the glue and where to put the pieces so that glue didn't get everywhere. This project was all about motor planning and developing fine motor skills. ;) His occupational therapist would be thrilled!
But, even though I reigned him in with the construction of the banner, he still found a way to make it his own. As he would glue the ears on the bunnies he explained that with the ears just so, it meant that the Easter Bunny would bring him a HUGE present. And with the ears more like this, it meant that I was going to get him a HUGE present. But, if the ears were more like that, that meant he was going to get ME a huge present.
So the lesson I learned from the Easter Bunny banner, is that I really need to lighten up. Project like these are great and even if I precut everything and it all looks like a pre-fab banner, both of us will still get so much out of making it.
Now if I can just figure out how to lighten up...
(happily shared with Today's Creative Blog)