Tuesday, March 23, 2010

pride



I often feel at odds about feeling and expressing pride in my kids. I'm worried that I'll sound annoying. I'm worried I'll sound like I think I have perfect kids. I'm worried I'll make other parents feel like I think my kids are better than theirs. But, since last fall, when a team of professionals assembled to talk about Andrew's weaknesses and what to do about them, I've felt differently about expressing pride in my kids.

I'm not really sure why. But for some reason, it feels safer to say: "Look what he can do!" because he has plenty of well documented things that he struggles with. I guess I feel like I am completing the picture and filling out the other side. I want to be brave and face the things that are hard for Andrew, and I want to be annoying and point the things he does well.

This is one of the things I love about Andrew. I love watching him use his body. I love seeing him fearlessly tackle playground equipment, ropes courses and this rock pier we found at the beach. I love watching him love it. Crazy, but I feel an unusual amount of pride watching him explore a tricky environment. I want everyone to look and see how agile and fearless and adorable he is. Even if it's momentarily annoying. ;)


10 comments:

Ruth said...

You have every right to feel as you do! I'm guilty of spending far too much time worrying about how others see DS and what they think of my mothering skills.
I love the stitching around the edge of the photo.

erin said...

No shame in bragging about your beautiful boys! If I had a blog I would brag about mine.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I hope you will preserve your blog post journaling to keep with the great layout you created. It's beautifully written, Robyn, and the layout is awesome!

MandiCrocker said...

Who cares what people think! :) This is your blog & you get to write whatever you want in here. I personally LOVE to hear about your kids because a) I don't have any of my own and b) Love to see/hear the adventures of you living as a mom! Even if it gets annoying from time to time (which it never has for me! you're crazy!) that's part of being a mother, too. You're a human, Robinski, and we love you. We read this blog for a reason-- cause you're an amazing & creative mom!!! :)

Mama V said...

Love that picture. And very funky stitching and layout (look at me, the non-scrapbook-er using scrapbooking lingo!)

I'm joining the choir here. I don't think of having pride in one's child(ren) and sharing it with others as the same thing as bragging, unless one is bothered by others doing it. Growing up my parents used to openly share their pride stories about us, and though the repetition got annoying, my brothers and I mostly secretly liked it (we assumed it was a Cuban thing). ;) I think it helped instill some confidence and self-acceptance in us because someone bragged about us just for being ourselves. We could sneeze, and they'd be proud. Now that I'm a parent, I understand exactly why they can't help doing it!

Sounds like you're also learning to advocate for your children. Way to go! Andrew: your mama is on your side!

Mama V said...

Wait, what's it say on the bottom right corner of the picture? Does it say "my little goat"?!?!

Eh?

Dave said...

yeah...he's leaping around on the rocks like a mountain goat. ;)

Rhona said...

I think every one needs to be praised and being proud of your children isn't annoying, it's lovely to see how much you care. I think you should celebrate the things Andrew does well and let him know how proud you are!

Danielle said...

BRAG BRAG BRAG!!! They are YOUR kids and who better to brag??? Every kid needs to be bragged on--brag on mama!!!

firefly said...

Mama V, that little goat comment cracks me up.

"Eh?"

I love that picture of Andrew. So so cute. Such spring in his step.