Monday, May 17, 2010
Dave and I did a series of little things to celebrate this big anniversary. Often Dave and I end up feeling stressed with landmarks like these. Will we do enough? Will we feel like we did it justice? And those expectations can end up ruining these special days that come along. And that just stinks. So, we did not fly off to Bora Bora or even have an overnight in the city. And that ended up being a-okay.
Here's what we did:
1. I left him little notes here and there. In his sock drawer, in his lunch, on the door when he came home. I sent him silly emails thorough the day. Just little check-in's.
2. I put a silly picture of us as the wallpaper on our computer. ;)
3. I spent some time making this scrapbook page about how our marriage has changed me.
4. We fed the kids and ordered take out after they went to bed. We ate at the table, with placemats, cloth napkins and candles. Even though it was just take out.
5. I made a Flourless Chocolate Cake which we shared with the kids before they went to bed.
6. He got us tickets to see the Met Orchestra at Carnegie Hall Sunday afternoon and arranged for childcare with our friends Kirsten and Eric.
7. We shared a cheese fondue after the concert.
And that was that.
It was sweet and lovely.
And today? I am deep cleaning the kitchen, sorting through stuff I want to get rid of and scrubbing greasy residue from the things I store above the stove. Romantic life, I tell you. ;)