Monday, June 28, 2010
Summer heat is upon us. Full force, my friends. I keep reading these chipper blog posts about how "summer photos are the BEST photos" and "summer is my favorite time of year" and I roll my eyes and wonder how these people could be living in such denial.
I've been trying to strategize about how to negotiate summer. It's already gotten the best of me a couple of times. And "gotten the best of me" is not pretty. It involves panicky phone calls to my husband who has to calm me down by saying things like "it's not always hot" and "you're not always irritable".
My plans for survival are:
1. Plan easy meals that get me out of that hot kitchen quickly.
2. Get up early to get a few things done before that sluggish feeling takes over. It's not so bad to feel sluggish when I have a few things to show for my day.
3. Get in sweaty mode. This is not the time to win a Mommy Fashion award. Go ahead, wear your old jean shorts to the playground.
4. Afternoon matinees are a-okay. Especially if they are viewed in one of the air-conditioned bedrooms.
5. Bring your camera to the playground. Those chipper summer lovers might be right. Summer photos are pretty good.
How do you get through the summer?