Sunday, August 26, 2007

Appreciating New York


I think that the best thing to do when I am down on the city, is to become a tourist.

Yesterday we walked around downtown Manhattan. We started in Soho, and then then took a bus to South Ferry. We were planning on hopping a boat to Liberty Island, but the lines and price were incredible. So, instead we wandered old streets, bumping Andrew over cobblestones in his stroller and landed at the South Street Seaport.

It was great. I was totally soaking it in. The funky architecture and the sunflowers being sold at every corner bodega. And the people. There are some real weirdos out there.

There was one man that seemed to be doing some stretching, or yoga or something as he walked down the street. People talked loudly with large gestures on their cell phone ear pieces making it look like they are talking to no one. And, since it is the city, no one thinks twice about it. There is a odd degree of privacy in the middle of the city. You can do yoga on the sidewalk and scream in your ear piece because the people that see you doing it will not likely see you again. In a way, you are by yourself.

One day Andrew and I got caught in a downpour. A big one. I have had showers that were less effective than that rain storm. It hit when we were about 20 blocks from our apartment. The streets and sidewalks emptied immediately. Except for us. I threw the rain cover on the stroller and began to run. And laugh. Because, well, it was funny. And it was fun. I felt and looked like a little girl. And usually, that can be embarrassing. But all forms of self-consciousness were pushed aside. People were watching me. I had an audience. But I was anonymous. No one knew me. Things are not so embarrassing when there is no one to tease you about it later.

Usually the volume of people in the city make me feel big and watched and shy. But, there are some times that I remember that I don't know these people. That once I stray from my hood, the chances of me running into the New Yorkers that I do know are slim.

So, seeing weird people doing weird things while disregarding the funny looks they are getting is fun. And freeing.

This is a great place to be weird.

2 comments:

Susan said...

So, are those statues real people? Wierd.

Dave said...

yup. They were everywhere. Very weird.