Wednesday, February 24, 2010

bedroom redo



Slowly but surely I have been refreshing and updating our bedroom. In the last year we've added a new mattress, new lamps and my really-cool-they-make-me-feel-awesome tiles. Right before I picked out the tiles, I had a vision of a bedroom in blue and decided to start bringing in more of that cool and calming shade.

The latest additions to the bedroom are a new down comforter and as of 7:10 this morning, new curtains! The last couple of mornings I've been starting my day early to get some sewing in before people were awake and needing things. And now I have two curtains to show for it. They are lined in blackout fabric, so they will keep out light and noise more effectively than our previous curtains. Plus, they are BLUE. ahhhh....

In my recent fabric shopping escapes I've been picking up these blues and browns for the bedroom. Now that the curtains are done I'm going to get crackin' on some pillow shams and a quilt.



Here was my bedroom before. It represents my Burgundy Period that I (and the rest of America) embraced in the late 90's.



And now for my Cool Blue Redo.



And while we are on the subject of bedrooms...I have my heart set on a simple, clean platform bed that one day will join the mix. It's pricey though and not something we can swing right now. But, I feel like the bed would look better with some kind of headboard. I've been toying with the idea of making a faux headboard like I've seen on DIY design shows. I was thinking of covering a piece of plywood with batting and fabric and attaching it to the wall. Something low and subtle. Is that crazy? What is it about headboards that make beds look so...official?



oh. And here is Isaac taking in the redo. After a few jumps on the bed he gave it his seal of approval. I knew he would.

15 comments:

Ruth said...

You've done brilliantly with changing the look. Isn't it funny how little boys love to bounce on the bed!?

Susan said...

Nice! I've been meaning to ask you about a faux headboard for our bed. Let me know if you pursue that idea. We just changed all our rooms around here and our room really needs something. I also need a sham tutorial. Our spare twin bed is supposed to be like a "daybed" but it has no frame and it's just a bed. I want to make a slipcover for the whole thing and then shams for all our spare pillows to decorate it when we don't have desks. You need to get over here and inspire me!

Mama V said...

Looks wonderful! Ten times better! What was Dave's response?

Susan said...

I mean--when we don't have "guests." Our desks have no impact on my use of shams.

Dave said...

Susan...I was wondering! ;)

"What was Dave's response?"
Dave was really glad I was taking down the curtains so early in the morning to put the new ones up. He was still getting what he could out of his last few minutes of sleep when I couldn't hold back in my curtain futzing. But he likes it!

Rhona said...

I really like the new look. I'm a blue person so it has to be good. The tiles look good with the curtains too, now I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your sewing for the room.

Melissa Belmonte said...

Love it! You're inspiring me- our bedroom is next!

Melissa Belmonte said...

To pick colors for the room, do you start w/ fabrics and go from there?

Unknown said...

So you still test positive for shams. Dave will be sad. :)

Ms. Walker said...

Looks great, Robyn! I thought of trying that DIY headboard too. On the blog Young House Love, they did it and have the directions and it looks great. Keep us posted!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

It looks wonderful! I can't get DH to go for a faux headboard. He says if I wanted a headboard I should have gotten a bedframe with one. He just doesn't like decor change

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

LOVE the new look, Robyn!!! Very nice. :o)

Kirsten said...

The curtains look great!

I wonder if when you are old, you will be able to look back at your life and identify color phases. :)

Ladkyis said...

I put a curtain pole on the wall and hung two cushions from it in place of a headboard. I am now thinking about hanging a quilted wall hanging there instead but that would mean moving the curtain pole up the wall and that would mean taking away the bookshelf above it and that would mean finding somewhere for the bookshelf... nah, I'll just change the colours of the cushion covers.

Goodyreid said...

Awesome Robyn! Looks really great.