Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Andrew's Party: we begin



So, the idea for Andrew's party is something that slowly evolved, but actually turned out to be the most obvious direction to go.

I asked Andrew a few months ago who he wanted to invite to his birthday and he said: "Lucas, Kirsten and Eric." Lucas is Mama V's son and Kirsten and Eric, although they definitely have their own relationships with Andrew, are really my friends. He didn't mention anyone from school. He didn't mention anyone that he knew apart from me.

And so I wondered: do we have a small party with Andrew's close friends? the friends that really love Andrew? or do we go crazy and invite his entire class and see what happens?

Can you guess what I decided? ;)

I had stars in my eyes as I envisioned a Carnival Birthday Party. Games, popcorn, face painting, the works! I would make booths and rope in my friends to help and it would be fantastic. The social event of the season! But, when we went to a classmate's birthday party, and only two kids from school showed up, I realized I should probably tone it down a little. Carnival was out.

One day, out of the blue, Andrew tells me he wants a Maze Party. A maze party? How do you do a maze party? Do other kids really like mazes? hmmmm.... I began gathering ideas and am good to go. Maze Party it is! We'll have obstacle courses and scavenger hunts and maps and magnifying glasses and all kinds of (loosely) maze related gear. And it will work no matter how many kids show up.

These are the invitations I'm sending out. Andrew made a maze to show his guests how to get to the party and I made the rest of it, with more practical information. We are having this one outside again...so fingers crossed that it doesn't rain!


5 comments:

Emily said...

Beautiful invites! Love the picture that your son drew to include in the invites! Very fun!

Ruth said...

That is just so cool!

Mama V said...

For everyone: it's hard to tell from the pictures, but the same long strip of paper (with arrows) that you see inside wraps around the entire invitation. (It's brilliant!)

Robyn: I told you before but I'll say it again here. I think this is the best handmade invite you've sent out yet! I loved it!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hooray! Another birthday party. :o) Love the maze theme and your invites!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

That sounds like a fun party!