Friday, May 21, 2010

a lovely panic



There are a few weeks each Fall and a few weeks each Spring that are so lovely that I start to panic about missing it. I see those weeks approaching and I feel so excited about them. I can't wait for the season's full splendor. And then when it comes I want to trap it and keep it and feel panicked that I can't. And knowing that it will come again next year is no comfort. I have to enjoy it now.

I think this all started when we moved to New York and one day I noticed all of the tulips were blooming and before I knew it, they were gone. I realized that if I didn't seek out nature's signs of seasons, I would miss them. And so now I seek them out.

This scrapbook page is about a day trip we took to a state park North of the city called Bear Mountain.

Here's what I wrote:
"I absolutely love autumn. Often during autumn I feel panicked to get everything in- to really soak in the beauty of the season- to not let it pass us by. So we rush to State Parks and when we get there, we just be. We stand around in the autumn and love it."

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I know exactly what you mean, one blink of an eye and you've missed it.

Liv said...

Random comment - I have never heard an American call it Autumn before, only Fall!

erin said...

I saw a little boy yesterday with wonderful orange hair like Isaac's. So cute. Today is an ideal summer day. I'm going to lather the baby in sun screen and spend it outdoors!