Thursday, May 24, 2007

Process



The other day I made this awesome strawberry cake. The process of making it was so pretty. Strawberries. Pureed strawberries. Whipped egg whites. So many colors and textures going on. It was a nice process. The cake itself, tasted great, but wasn't too pretty. The pink of the strawberries got a little brown in the oven. The process was beautiful, the end result, though tasty, not so beautiful. (not to worry, I covered it in whipped cream and fresh strawberries when the group arrived. I know, close one.)

Then, today, I made these labor intensive cookies. Make dough, put it through a cookie press, bake, melt chocolate, dip cookies, sprinkle, etc. The process was a disaster...well, as far as visual appeal. It was a total mess. I'm not sure I'll ever get all those little colorful sprinkles up off the floor. But, the end result looks great (and, yes, tastes great too).

It's funny how the stuff matters more, now that I blog. I sort of like that it matters more. I like that I notice the color of the berries and way the light shows the texture of the whipped egg whites. Weird. I know. But, baking and cooking and all things kitchen are so mulit-sensory. I'm just glad I notice that more.

That's all.

4 comments:

Tara Whalen said...

Can I have some?

Susan said...

Yum. That strawberry cake post was incredible. I meant to tell you before.

Tami said...

i think that i have finally found someone who bakes more then me! do you ever make whoopie pies?

Dave said...

I don't think so. I made sandwitch cookies once with chocolate cookies and cream filling inbetween them. So, I think that is closest I've come. SOunds fun, though. I've also wanted to try ice cream sandwitces...hmmm....maybe I will....